Friday 21 June 2013

Don't be scared to get in a spin!

Once upon a time, I used to go to a weekly spinning class.  It was hard work, but it was a great way to improve fitness.  I ran regularly as well, and the spinning definitely made running easier.  I was telling some work colleagues all about the amazing benefits of spinning last week, and I felt so inspired that I called the leisure centre and booked a class there and then.
The class was on Wednesday.  I was a bit nervous beforehand, as this was something I hadn't done in over a year, and I thought it would be a killer. 
It was great!  It was hard work, and by the end there was sweat dripping off me (literally - eww!) but I actually enjoyed it.  So much so that I'm booked on to next week's class.
I thought I’d tell you a little bit about what a spinning class involves, because I remember how intimidated I was before I did my first one, and there's really nothing to be scared of.  Much.
The basic premise is that everyone has an exercise bike, and the instructor is at the front of the class on an exercise bike facing the group.  There is loud music, and you have to cycle in time to the music.  In the class I go to, it's a mixture of pedalling while seated, standing up, and hovering - where your legs are moving but your torso is still.  It's harder than it sounds.  I have been to other classes that have included some extra moves like push ups on the handlebars, but I think all classes will contain the basics I've listed here.  The instructor will tell you when to increase the resistance on your bike.  The higher the resistance, the harder you'll have to push to move the pedals.
The great thing about it is that it's a group class, so you're motivated by everyone else - nobody wants to be the only one sitting when everyone else in the class is standing.  You naturally want to be seen to be keeping up with everyone else, and that pushes you to work hard.  On the other hand, you're in control of your bike, and you decide how high to set the resistance, so you can push yourself as hard as you want to.  So you get the best of both worlds, of being motivated in a sort of team-like environment, and being able to decide for yourself what you do.
The first time you go, it will be hard.  I thought my first class was horrible, and by the end I was sweating, shaking, nauseous, I had cramp in one foot and my ladybits were on fire from the hard bike seat.  But, I went back the following week, and it was a bit easier.  The week after that, it was easier, and I could push a bit harder.  The point I'm trying to make is, try not to be put off after one class, because you will improve quickly.  Take a towel, a bottle of water and grit your teeth, and you'll soon learn to love it.
Are you a spinning newbie, or a seasoned spinneroonie? What are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment