Wednesday 2 October 2013

Belated Blogtember: Nike running app

Hello chaps and chapesses!

So Blogtember is running on a little past the end of September but that’s no bad thing – I’m enjoying it so much I thought I’d keep it going a bit longer.

I’m a bit of an on-off runner.  I used to run quite regularly, and I liked it, but over the last year or so I’ve fallen out of the habit, and tried to make an effort to get back into a routine, and fallen out of the habit again so many times I’ve lost count.

Enter the Nike+ running app.  This is a free app that tracks your time and distance as you run.  It uses GPS to plot your route, and it times you.  It also lets you choose a playlist from your music collection to listen to while you run.  Pretty standard, you may think, what’s so special about that?

PicMonkey Collage

What I love is that at the end of each mile you run, a little voice tells you how far you’ve run, your total running time, and your average pace.  This is great because it really motivates you to keep going.  I’ve heard an update and thought ‘ooh, that’s a good time, I need to keep this up!’  Other times, I’ve heard an update and thought ‘bloody hell Rach, put your back into it!’ and it’s spurred me on to ramp it up a gear.

The other good thing is that you can share your stats on Facebook and Twitter after you’ve finished.  For people who like to show off, like me, this is a winner.

For me, the only downside is that as I tend to strap my phone to my upper arm, I can’t see my progress.  I've used running watches before, and it's good to be able to glance down at my wrist and see how far I've got to go before completing another mile.  You could get around this by holding your phone in your hand, but as I frequently trip over my own feet, this would be a recipe for disaster.  The more graceful and co-ordinated amongst you may be ok with this, though.

As a general all-round running app though, this is great, and I recommend it.


No comments:

Post a Comment