Wednesday 4 September 2013

Blogtember: Three months off

Hello chaps and chapesses!

If you could take three months off from your current life, what would you do?

This is a fun but tough question to answer, as there are so many things I’d like to do and see, but I think, if money was no object, I would travel around Canada.

When I was a student, I lived and worked in Montreal, and it was the best year of my life.  I’ve always said I’d like to go back.

I would start by exploring the gorgeous Prince Edward Island, in the east, and then make my way west. 

beach_pei
Then I would move on to Montreal, and take Graeme to all my old haunts, like the bars and restaurants on St Denis; the beautiful old town, and a trek (or maybe the bus) up Mont-Royal to look at the view over the city.

montreal-skyline


I would then head on up to Québec City to show Graeme the cobbled streets and and quaint old buildings.  And of course, no visit to QC would be complete without indulging in a little poutine at Chez Ashton.  For the uninitiated, poutine is the national dish of the Québec region, and comprises of chips / fries, squeaky cheese curds, and gravy.  The more squeaky the cheese, the better the poutine.

From there I would venture north to the Gaspé region.  I never made it this far when I was in Canada, but I’ve heard lots of good things about it, and the scenery looks fantastic.

gaspesie

I would then hop over to Calgary, hopefully around the time of the annual Calgary Stampede, so I could make like a cowboy and go to the rodeo.

calgary-stampede

From Calgary I would go to the Rockies, and spend some time communing with nature exploring Banff National Park, and dipping my toes in Lake Louise.

LakeLouiseFairmontCanoeing

My next stop would be Vancouver, where I would take a stroll around the harbour, and admire the totem poles in Stanley Park.

stanley_park_totems
If there was time, I would round off my three months by going as far north as I could manage, to try and get a glimpse of the Northern Lights.  All the pictures I’ve seen are spectacular, and it would be a once in a lifetime experience to see them in real life.

northern-lights
Heck – three months might not be enough to fit all this in!

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a beautiful three months, I have Northern Lights on my list too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Seeing the Northern Lights is quite high up on my bucket list (pardon the cliche!)

    ReplyDelete