Tuesday 3 September 2013

Blogtember: Where I came from

Hello chaps and chapesses!

Welcome to Blogtember day 1, which is all about where I'm from, and the people and places that have made me who I am.

I grew up in a teeny little village in the South Wales countryside.  I'm an only child,and as a child I spent a lot of time with my grandparents.  They lived next door, so when I was young I'd have breakfast at theirs before school, and would go straight there for my tea after school, while Mum and Dad were at work.

I didn't really appreciate them enough at the time, but looking back now, I can see that they had a huge influence on me.  It was my grandad, more than anything else, who really encouraged me to speak Welsh, and a lot of the morals and principles I have now came from them.

1992


When I was 19, I moved to Chester for university, and I absolutely loved it.  Chester is a gorgeous city with a long and interesting history, and a lovely, friendly atmosphere. I loved it so much that when I graduated, I decided to stay.  I moved to North Wales last year, to move in with Graeme, and as lovely as this place is, Chester still feels like "home", more so than where I grew up.  


chop 005


It'll always have a special place in my heart, and I'm sure we'll find our way back there one day.



2 comments:

  1. Speaking Welsh is so impressive to me. We went to Hay-on-Wye one year while in England for a family reunion, and I just remember seeing all the dual language signs. It looks TOUGH.

    And what a lovely place to live. I can't wait to go back to the area!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm really lucky to have been brought up bilingually - Welsh is a tough language to learn from scratch! I owe my grandparents a lot :)

    And Chester is b-e-a-uuuutiful! I highly recommend it next time you're here!

    ReplyDelete